So as today is the first day of spring we decided to say a fond farewell to winter. However, it was a very cold, non-spring-like day!
We started by having waffles for dinner. The reason for the fancy dinner: we got our share of the maple syrup we've been going on about in the blog! We ended up getting about 2 1/2 cups worth. I wasn't sure if the all the work was worth it until I had the syrup.
I don't think I can go back to eating any other kind now. It tasted amazing.
James enjoyed the syrup provided by Blinda.
It was a good night for a fire, so we wanted to roast some chestnuts we bought a while ago, but they had sat on our shelf for too long and dried out.
Who would have known?
We thought we would roast marshmallows for smores, but realized we roasted them all when we boiled the sap. However, Becky found some mini-mallows which were a good substitute. The mini-mallows actually made for a better crispy-to-gooey ratio than the big mallows.
Just goes to show you--a little ingenuity can save the evening . . .
8 comments:
ahhhhh, memories of home. once you taste real maple syrup there's no going back. your kids are getting so dang big! and yes, we'll be heading to the cape in july, likely the 3rd week (~18th-25th or so). let us know if you're still going to be around.
I wish I was there to try some of your syrup! That sounds so good!
Wish you could save some syrup for me...doesn't sound like it will make it through the week! The mallow idea looks fun for a little indoor excitement, though I wouldn't want to clean your rugs...
Love Jenny
Only 2 1/2 cups?!?! Wow. That is a lot of work for that, so it better taste good!!! I loved that you guys roasted marshmallows inside. You guys are cool parents!
2 1/2 cups.....2 1/2 cups... Great Scott!!! Im sure in 2009 2 1/2 cups is a lot but in 1955 it's a little hard to come by.
Jimmy looks so old. I miss him.
-luke
That waffle looks delicious with homemade maple syrup! Bo would be so jealous! He loves that combo! You are so gorgeous Becky, I heard you trimmed your hair cute, can't wait to see it! That pict of Jack is so adorable too, can't wait to get the kids together!
Woah- lots of work but the syrup sounded amazing. Yum! Bring some out when you come! ;-) How fun to learn how to make the real thing. Your boys are such cute pa-toots! can't wait to see you guys!
Post a Comment