Saturday, July 25, 2009

Taughannock Falls

Jake had to take his big scary sports medicine board exam today! We all cross our fingers that he does well. He's been studying so hard, I'm sure it will be fine . . .
So, the boys and I went exploring. We went to Taughannock Falls (pronounced, I think oddly, Tu-ga-nick, kind of rhymes with mechanic). It's one of the largest waterfalls east of the Rocky Mountains, at 215 feet high. It's about 3/4 mile hike, and the boys had a great time.
Unfortunately, since the waterfall is in a gorge with frequent rock falls, they don't let you go closer than this to the waterfall (much to James's frustration!).
Jackson loved sitting on the wall and being "big" like James.
On a complete tangent, James has discovered a new bug in our yard. He actually took this picture himself. He has named the bug a "mole cricket". Don't ask me why. He's also discovered that they shed their skins, and the skins remain intact and he can collect them. Gross. Having boys has really opened my eyes to a whole new disgusting world. How can you not let them play with bugs and dirt and rocks, though? It's in their genetic makeup.

5 comments:

Amy said...

I love that first picture. James looks so big and Jack looks so small.

Love the Mole Cricket too. Gross.

Anonymous said...

You have so many fun things to do where you live. It really is a beautiful place! The bug on the other hand is not beautiful. Yuck. Boys are awesome, who wouold kill all the bugs if we didn't have boys?

Tiffany said...

What a pretty waterfall!
and yes- BOYS-- it's funny to see the things they like and think are cool. I'm SO not into bugs but Nate thinks they're great.
Good luck to Jake on his Boards- Steve just took his 2nd year boards and found out a few days ago he passed. But that's just the beginning--ahhh!

doovie79 said...

What a cute mom you are! Even without Jake, you pick up and go adventuring whenever! Yes, boys are definitely different in many aspects--but yours are certainly adorable! We can't wait to see them next month!!
Love Jenny
P.S. We'll be anxious to hear how boards went for Jake!

Heidi Buchi said...

Those boys are sure handsome!!!
I don't know if I can have a boy...I do NOT like bugs, spiders, snakes, or any of those kinds of things...if I do have a boy, eventually, then I am going to be calling you a lot!!!