Sunday, July 18, 2010

Pageant and Susquehanna

It's been an adventurous few days for us. Thursday night we went with a group from the ward to see the Hill Cumorah Pageant. We had been to Hill Cumorah before, but it was amazing to come and see the huge stage set up.
James got to bring along his friend Ellie.
It's quite an amazing production to put on every year. I was surprised how much the kids liked it, even Jack. Especially considering how late a night it was for all of us (we pulled into our driveway about 12:30 AM).
Saturday morning we traveled to the Aaronic Priesthood restoration site on the banks of the Susquehanna. Some friends baptized their daughter there. It was really beautiful and serene, such a nice place for a baptism.
There are a few other things to see in the immediate area, including a cemetary in which Alvin, Joseph and Emmas first little son, is buried. Emma's parents are also buried nearby in the same cemetary.
Here is the monument to the restoration of the priesthood.
Joseph and Emma's house was here, also. The only thing left are some foundation stones, James is standing on one. Jake and James had been here already, but I really enjoyed seeing it. It somehow makes all that happened here more real to me.

9 comments:

Amy said...

Cool. I would love to see that. See you all in a few days!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you guys really get to experience some very cool things! Looks like a ton of fun!

Kristen Sheranian said...

I am so jealous about the pageant. We want to go so bad but it is just not going to happen anytime soon. That looked like so much fun. We haven't been to any of the priesthood sites. We will have to go and do that sometime.

doovie79 said...

Jealous!! Looks like an awesome trip! We really need to come back there...Maybe when the kids can pay for their own plane tix--J/K. Can't wait to see you guys this week!!
Love Jenny

CK Black Family said...

Looks like a great way to start pioneer week. I too am jealous of your location and cool sites!

Merkley Jiating said...

Busy busy busy! Wasn't the pageant amazing? I am so glad we made it. You have to tell us more things to do around Ithaca when we get back. You are a pro at it!

Kim said...

I have to tell you, When I first saw the header to this post, I thought it said pregnant not pageant. I was excited and then the pictures didn't make sense. Dang it! But the pageant does look pretty awsome!

myndie said...

what a great trip. you live in a beautiful place. we will be in utah aug. 13-18. will you guys be around? i wish we could hang out for a few hours.

Chris and Paige Bell said...

you guys are doing such cool things out there. we've been out in cali for a couple of weeks, we need to get on the ball. and remember the camera (and to take pictures if we have it!). good luck jake with the conference. as you can guess i won't be able to make it out there....
cb