Well, I know I'm a couple of days late on my last-day-of-November post. But it's been a little crazy getting back from vaca and hosting Jake's office party. But, finally here is my last "grateful thing": I'm grateful for our little family. We really enjoy spending time together and had such a great trip together, traveling around and seeing things. So, here's the trip!
North Carolina's Kitty Hawk Wright Brothers Memorial Park. The day we went was pretty breezy, so it was clear why they had chosen this particular spot. It was amazing to learn about all the work they did over years and years to make this first flight possible.
The kids running up the dune. I think this memorial is up high so you can imagine flying as they did, looking out at the amazing view of the ocean and Currituck Sound.
Last stop: Philadelphia. We broke up the drive home by spending a night in Wilmington, DE then spending a few hours the next morning exploring some American History. This is Constitution Hall where the Declaration of Independence and Constitution were ratified and signed by the members of the Continental Congress. Nearly everything is a replica (the building however is original), but the high-backed chair you see at the front of the room is genuine, and the one George Washington sat in to preside over the meetings.
The lighting was a litle funky, but you can't mistake the Liberty Bell! James was pretty excited about seeing it, but I guess he had expected it to be bigger . . .
Thomas Jefferson was staying in the upstairs of this house while he wrote the Declaration of Independence.
I loved walking through the historic district, and loved this sign, it says "The Hoopskirt Factory".
Of course we had to wrap up the trip with a Philly Cheesesteak. We went to a place called "Jims" where the line was clear out the door and we waited probably 40+ minutes, but it was actually part of the fun to wait and watch them make the sandwiches.
And, the sandwiches were GREAT! The "original" sandwich is apparently steak, onions, and Cheese Whiz. No joke, they actually have Cheese Whiz in huge cans. However, I recommend the Cheesesteak with Provolone (and I didn't want onions either). Very tasty!As a last note, I can't forget to say how grateful I am for our extended families, who we are excited to spend some time with soon. I went on trips with my family growing up that were just as great and we still have a great time together. And, I married into a great family who we enjoy spending time with and had a great trip to Grey's River with this last summer.
Here's to FAMILY!
2 comments:
What a fun trip! You guys fit a lot in!
Isn't the cheeze whiz gross looking? Yuck.
Love your little family!
Post a Comment