Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash Wednesday

So today is basically day 1 of Lent. . . I think. And I have decided to do something this year. Most people give up something, but I am going to take on something instead. I am going to make a conscious effort to do a selfless act of service for someone everyday. This plan is quite spontaneous but stems from a Catholic friend of mine and President Monson's talk given a year and a half ago. I just decided today and thus wasn't quite prepared, so my act today was to help those with whom I work avoid lentish temptations.

Those of whom I speak have given up chocolate for Lent, so basically I helped eat some chocolate to decrease the size of the "temptation jar" at work. It is weak I know but I will hopefully give something more meaningful throughout the next 40 days. I write this not to brag or to say how righteous I am, but to put it down for people to witness and for others to help me stay on target. I may or may not post what I have done for that day but wish me luck and please post ideas for me.


3 comments:

Florianna said...

For several years, Dave the girls and I did 'Thankful Journals' for Lent and during dinner we would all say two things we were thankful for and I wrote them down. We still have those and are quite awesome to read after all these years. I think that what I am going to encourage Gabi to do, instead of giving something up, is to come up together during breakfast with something we both can do during the day for someone, and then compare notes at night! Tall order for 40 days, but we can always try!

Amy said...

Awesome. I can't believe your selfless act for today. I would be thanking you if I worked with you, seeing how I am giving up candy.

doovie79 said...

Love this idea!
Jenny