Saturday, October 11, 2008

Apples Apples Apples . . .

Well, the boys and I had such a great time apple-picking that we now have an overabundance of apples. So, we're putting apples in just about everything so they won't go to waste!
We tried this recipe this morning and LOVED it, so I thought we'd share it. Enjoy . . .

Apple Syrup with Toasted Pecans
3 1/2 T butter (divided)
3 sweet apples, peeled, chopped into 3/4" pieces
pinch table salt
1 cup apple cider
1/2 cup maple syrup (regular syrup is fine)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon juice
3/4 cup toasted pecans

Melt 1 1/2 T butter in large skillet over med-high heat. Add apples and cook until tender and browning, 7-9 min. Stir in cider and cook until liquid is almost evaporated, 6-8 min. Add syrup and cook until thickened, 4-6 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla, lemon juice, and remaining 2 T butter. Serve with your favorite pancakes and the toasted pecans on the side. YUM!

3 comments:

Kim said...

yummy! That apple syrup on pancakes looks like a treat! I'll have to give it a try. I'm so jealous of all the canning you're doing with all the fresh fruit you've been able to get- your applesauce looks delicious!

Amy said...

Wow! That looks good. I just got a recipe from Relief Society for a simple apple salad. I will have to email it to you! I am always amazed with the things you cook!

Luke and Kimmy said...

That looks so good! Now you need to learn how to make apple friters.