I feel like a little kid when I say James' last Scout activity was SO COOL. But it totally was! His Wolf Den leader is in grad school at Cornell studying crop genetics. He brought along a professor from Cornell and they did the most amazing experiments for the kids, explaining how things work along the way.

All the kids had to put on their safety goggles. The boys were both thrilled that they actually got to KEEP the goggles.

Brother Cobb running away from the exploding bottle of Coke (with the addition of a Mento!). Some of the other experiments: making a solution which included hydrochloric acid and then watching it turn orange, then purple, then orange, then purple . . .; Lots of fun with liquid Nitrogen including freezing various things and shattering them on the table; seeing how plants can grow in a clear gel medium (no soil).

The "mad" scientists showing James how they put an eyedropper inside a bottle filled with water, and when you squeeze the bottle, the eyedropper will float to the top. The kids got to take home one of these bottles and a bunch of other stuff, including some Petri dishes with which James proceeded to grow a boatload of bacteria from swabbing inside his mouth.
I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of the Grand Finale which was torching a balloon filled with acetyline gas. Nothing like a good explosion with a little fire and a lot of smoke.
So Cool.
9 comments:
That is AWESOME! I bet the kids...and adults loved every minute of it!
What a cool scouting activity!! I would have loved to be there to see all the fun experiments. :) The trees and all the green is so gorgeous! I'm ready for the weather to warm up!
how did i not know about your blog earlier. i have spent the better part of the morning enjoying your past entries. i love your writing and your point of view.
Yeah, I am so excited to see your blog. I can't wait to go back and read all your entires from months past. And that fondue you made last night was delicious.:)
I am so glad we know you have a blog now! I cannot believe you didn't tell anyone sooner! Also, I want to echo Melissa - the fondue WAS delicious!
-Emily
I love activities like that. They are better then a weekend trip to me :). I am so glad I have a boy...soon to be boys. Scouting is the real adventure right!
How do we enroll in James' scout troop?! How lucky is he! That sounds like a riot!!
Jenny
I wish I got to participate in cool science experiments when I was younger. That would have made it a lot more fun.
It is awesome when you get leaders like that for scouts and such. They make it so much funner for these guys to learn. Jack and James are looking so much older. Cute guys! Can't wait to see you guys in July!
Post a Comment