Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Book Review

Just finished a great YA book that I thought I would share! It won the Newberry Medal in 2010, which was what first brought it to my attention, usually it means a worthwhile read! "The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate" by Jacqueline Kelly is no exception.
It's a great book about a young girl growing up in the post-Civil War South. She's trying to find her place in a family of boys and a society that has certain expectations of girls despite her growing interest in science encouraged by her eccentric grandfather. I highly recommend it and wish I had daughters to share it with!

3 comments:

doovie79 said...

Looks intriguing! You need to make a running list of best reads! Maybe a foodie and readie blog combined!! You are certainly well-read. Miss ya!
Jenny

Amy said...

Oohh. I will have to suggest this for my book club!

Natalie said...

Amanda read this last year and I have had my eye on it since, but it keeps getting pushed back. Thanks for the reminder, I look forward to reading this.