Friday, January 21, 2011

Potty-training King . . .

Jack has been working very hard and is (should I knock on wood?) potty trained!
So, in my vast experience potty-training two kids (not!), I learned some lessons that made it easier the second time around. (I don't know if these apply to everyone so feel free to contradict me!).
1. It's really okay to wait until your child is ready. I let others pressure me into training James when he was 2 1/2. I didn't feel like he was ready. It took a long time and several small relapses before he was truly trained. Jack, on the other hand, was interested and showed he was ready (after age 3). I didn't stress about it or push him until then. It was so much different to feel like he was part of the process and wanted to do it.
2. Rewards really work. With both my kids, finding the right motivation was important. Thank goodness for Thomas the Tank Engine. And all of his many, many friends . . .
3. It's all about being positive. When they really are ready and want to succeed help them be excited about the little successes and not get too upset about accidents.
4. Winter's not such a bad time to potty train. I used to think summer was best with little clothing and being wet with accidents, but winter's not so bad. Who wants to go outside when it's single digits with wind chill anyway?
5. Potty training in a day is a nice dream, but does not necessarily work for everyone. Actually not for anyone I've met. It's okay to be patient with your child and yourself!
6. Don't give in once you've started. The BM part especially is tough for many kids and Jack wanted a diaper back for that. It was hard to be tough about it, but we were and he eventually figured it out on the potty.
Hooray for no more diapers!!!

9 comments:

Amy said...

Oh Happy Day!!! Tell Jack congrats. Being done with diapers is awesome!!!! And I agree with all your tips! The first one is sooo true!

Bridget said...

HOORAY! Good for you (and Jack)!

Trina said...

I look forward to that! Especially the BM thing! It the hang up here for sure! Allison's been wanting to try it but she's not been able to do it yet. Hopefully soon, especially since she wants to!

Kim said...

YAY JACK!!! WAHOO!!! So proud of you! And Becky you too! ha. Wow. Loved your tips and totally agree... Now think of all the things you can buy with the money that went towards diapers- whew! ha.

Melissa said...

I love that grin! Aww we miss you Jack!! That's so exciting, now that you're a potty training pro you'll have to help me!!!

doovie79 said...

Hooray!! That is awesome. Loved the tips. I will be referring to those I am sure in the next year or two...
Love Jenny

Roo said...

Go Jackson!!

Heidi Buchi said...

We are so proud of Jackson, tell him Lola and him are potty pals!:) he he!

Caden & Texie said...

Hi Veigel Family!!! Thanks for potty training tips... I really need them. I've attempted it with Kam but each time I feel like it's just too soon. I feel better knowing I'm not alone!! Thanks for letting me check in on you guys. It's good to see you're doing great!! -Texie (From Porter Clinic)!