Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Adventures in Single Parenthood . . .

Jake was out of town for a few days, so I stepped it up and tried to do a few unusual and fun things with the kids to distract us all . . .

James had a cooking class at school where they made homemade butter and he's been wanting to try it again. It was fun and worked great! I got my smallest canning jars (you can also use baby food jars), put a marble (washed clean!) in each, then filled each about 2/3 the way with heavy cream. Then, the kids shook and shook them. I helped Jack a little with his, but they did great, and the homemade butter was tasty on waffles!
Our ward did a great service and provided babysitting at the nearby temple president's home in Palmyra so adults could go to the temple. They even walked over to the temple with the kids while we were gone, so the kids could see it. Luckily it was a nice day!

We went and had a picnic near the Sacred Grove and Smith family homes.

The entrance to the Sacred Grove.

That night got a good fire going in our backyard fire pit and roasted hot dogs and smores. My new favorite smore: 2 marshmallows, one on each side of the chocolate. A little messier but definitely better!

So glad to enjoy a little sunshine in this very rainy spring!! And, few things are better than a campfire!

7 comments:

Bridget said...

Is that a Hogwarts robe?? :)

Next time, replace the chocolate with a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. Your life will never be the same.

Amy said...

Jake told us about Jack at the Sacred Grove. So funny!

doovie79 said...

Good for you! I would have hid in the house 'til my hubby got back I am afraid...We made homemade butter, but didn't know about the marble--does that mix it up better?
Love Jenny

CK Black Family said...

Way to go Becky! You are supermom! I keep saying it - we need to come visit!!!

Chris and Abby said...

What a fun couple of days! You guys are so lucky to be so close to all the church sites. I would love to make it over one day!! Cute pictures! Wish I was there to join your smore party...... They looked so yummy!

The Harker's said...

Now I want to go camping, and have some smores! I might have to try Bridget's idea with the peanut butter cup. YUM!:)

myndie said...

dave had a great time out to the lunch with the guys. next time, i hope it's a girl's get together! you look cute with your baby bump! hope you feel as good as you look:)