Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Help . . .

I finished reading this today. My bookclub is reading it, or I might not have read it. I've been "burned" a few times on picking up new fiction without knowing much about it!
Anyway, I think this is a very worthwhile read. And my review doesn't contain any spoilers!
I really liked this particular take on segregation. So many other books I have read that represent the viewpoints of African Americans are almost unbearable to read because they focus so much on all of the horrible things, which of course I don't want to downplay. However, I love that this book represents not just the bad times, although they are (rightly) represented, but also the resiliency, courage, and spirit of "The Help" and the few whites that chose to fight on their side.
If you want to check out other reviews of books I've read recently, I joined a sort of facebook for readers called "goodreads". If you read a lot, please join and share your thoughts.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Yeah Goodreads!

I know what you mean about being hesitant to read current fiction. I felt the same way, until I married Brad and his book collection, which contained many good current fiction novels. I'm still wary but not like I used to be.

I really enjoyed reading "The Help" as well and agree with your review on how the novel handles segregation.

The Harker's said...

I too have been burned my reading books that end up having some horrible things happen about half way through. So many books I started and got into, to just put down half finished. Annoying. Can't wait for book group! To talk about this book, and to just visit with all our ladies!:)